The Third World Partnership (TWP) was established by the Parish of Our Lady Mother of the Church Castleknock in 2008, with the aim of establishing a supportive link between our parish and a third world parish. The TWP is partnered with the parish of Metcha Boroddo in Ethiopia, which is situated 50 miles west of Addis Ababa. The TWP celebrated its 10th Anniversary in 2018.
The mission of the Third World Partnership (TWP) is to build a partnership with selected third world parishes to bring real and lasting change by enabling and empowering local people – so that they have the tools, training, and the necessary supports to break the cycle of poverty and need. To develop sustainable spiritual and cultural links with these parishes that will be of mutual benefit to both parishes.
Since the TWP was established 10 years ago, it has accomplished a significant number of achievements, through funding the following:
- Sponsorship of 185 students to go to school each year since 2008, by funding their school fees, uniforms, books, medical and hygiene needs, food and other relevant materials. These are students whose families would otherwise be unable to afford their schooling.
- Re-building 3 new class rooms (2016) in the local school, which were in very poor condition. The TWP plan to fund the re-building of the remaining 3 classrooms in 2019
- Sponsorship of Teacher training programmes during summer holidays (2010-2016), to help improve the standard of education provided.
- Equipping a Computer Laboratory in the local school in partnership with Camara, another Irish based Charity (2009)
- Restoration of the Parish Church in Metcha Boroddo (2010), which was badly in need of repair
- Building 20 new homes for needy families (2009-2014)
The TWP accounts are under the control of the Parish Finance committee and are audited as part of the Parish Accounts of Our Lady Mother of the Church, Castleknock. The TWP conduct regular audit & planning visits to our partner parish of Metcha Boroddo in Ethiopia to review projects funded by the TWP and conduct an audit of the accounts. To date volunteers from the TWP group have made 6 visits, at their own expense to our partners in Metcha Boroddo. All monies raised by the TWP go directly to fund programmes and projects in our Partner Parish.
The TWP core group would like to take this opportunity to thank, on behalf of our Ethiopian partners, all our supporters who have made this partnership possible and whose support has allowed us to make such a difference in the education and lives of the people in our partner parish in Ethiopia.
If you have not already done so and would like to help, please contact a member of the TWP or e-mail the TWP at – TWP@castleknockparish.ie to make a donation or make a regular contribution by standing order.