Parish Gathering 2019
In the Parish Blog of 15 February, there is an update on the preparations for the Parish Gathering 2019.
One of the initiatives is to canvass as many parishioners as possible.
We live in challenging times where the cultural context in which the church exists is seismically changing, we need to pray, plan and face the challenge as a faith filled people-together!
We have posted a one-page Questionnaire on the parish website [link] and we would encourage you to let us have your views.
All comments will be considered in structuring the actual Gathering itself.
Week 3 – Preparing for the Parish Gathering 2019 …
- The Small Group meetings, in a number of homes in the parish, continue this week. Please keep them in your prayers – even a short prayer like, Come, Holy Spirit, can make a difference.
- Some families are willing to extend the invitation to their homes to parishioners who are not close neighbours but would like to attend one of the Small Groups. If you would like to participate, please
- drop your contact details into the Sacristy or
- e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
and we will get back to you.
Week 9 – Preparing for the Parish Gathering 2019
The Small Group meetings, in a number of homes in the parish, have now concluded; a number of discussions have been held in one of the local Post-Primary schools (more are in planning) and some 450 parishioners have submitted their in-church survey sheets since 17 March 2019. The views and feedback from all of these sources is currently being collated by the Parish Pastoral Council.
- Ideas: You’ll not be surprised to hear that the majority view, in terms of improvements sought, is about what the parish offers young people. The second most popular suggestion was to have more music and singing at ceremonies while the third was to have more parish social events.
- There are Information Flyers in the church porches for those who would like to know more about the rationale for the Parish Gathering. We have posted a Questionnaire seeking views on the parish and its future on the website, www.lucanparish.com. Please let us know what you think! It’s quite short and takes very little time to complete and submit online. There is still plenty of time to incorporate your ideas into the overall parish snapshot.
- On Saturday 23 March 2019, the PPC Planning Sub-Group had a very positive meeting with Donal Harrington, (the author of Tomorrow’s Parish) who is willing to work with the parish on shaping our future. It was agreed that the Parish Gathering should be in two parts, one before the summer and the second in the autumn.
The first Parish Gathering 2019 meeting, on Saturday 18 May 2019, in the Parish Centre, from 2.00 to 5.00 pm, will allow all those who have participated, in any way in the planning to date, to come together as a larger group to continue the discussions started in the House Groups and to further develop the suggestions that have been submitted. Please note this date. We will let you know, closer to the date, how to register for it.
You will appreciate that it takes time and personnel to organise these events. The PPC would love to hear from parishioners who have experience of similar events and who would be willing to be co-opted onto the Planning Group. You can contact us at, email@example.com or by dropping your contact details into the Sacristy or Parish Office. We’d love to have more people on board!
Please continue to pray for the parish, Come, Holy Spirit.
Mary (J) for the Parish Pastoral Council